Friday, May 30, 2008

An interesting dilemma related to Ecumenism

One of the issues that I was interested in discussing at meeting #2 had to do with an event at Wheaton College from a few years back.

I shared an article on this by Alan Jacobs,
and after the meeting one member mentioned another article that was published in the Wall Street Journal at that time.

I found this issue to be interesting for a number of reasons. We have a few people with Wheaton connections in our group, and I have a very positive opinion of Wheaton myself. I visited there many years ago to see their C.S. Lewis library which also had a lot of good stuff on J.R.R. Tolkein, G.K. Chesterton, and Dorothy Sayers.

Maintaining our solid religious beliefs is important and so on the one hand I admired what this President had done out of his convictions. On the other hand, as a Catholic I see that Catholics and Evangelicals have so much in common as related to Christ and Scripture and a rich heritage that spans centuries, that I found it to be a shame that they couldn't find a way to keep Dr. Hochschild.

No comments: